Take some time to see if you have started, are in the process or completed any of these…
- Do you or your spouse/partner have a vision of how your dependent with special needs will live after you’re gone?
- Have you identified a guardian, conservator, or trustee for your dependent?
- Do you have a complete understanding of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) government benefits?
- Have you begun setting aside money for your dependent?
- Do you have a written Letter of Intent?
- Are any dependents, whether they have a disability or not, being excluded in your will?
- Does your dependent with special needs have any trusts or accounts established to preserve government benefits?
- Have provisions been made to fund these trusts or accounts with assets, or insurance, if applicable?
- Have you coordinated your special needs planning with other relatives?
- Have you done everything possible to protect your dependent’s financial future?
- Have you planned where your dependent will live if you are not around?
- Will your dependent be able to earn enough to care for himself or herself?
- Will your dependent have adequate health insurance?
If you are not satisfied with all of your answers, please feel free to contact Special Care Planner, Stephanie Thompson, at 630-258-7664 for a confidential consultation.