Government Benefit Planning
Families with children who have disabilities have a focus that is very different from that of other families. Rather than planning for the care and expenses of children until they are old enough or educated enough to support themselves, families with children who have disabilities very often focus on the more difficult problem of how to meet the child’s need throughout his or her lifetime.
Government benefits play an important role for most such families. The cost of lifetime care for a person with a disability is high. The cost can vary dramatically according to the disabled individual’s condition.
Based on your income or the income of the person with a disability, you may qualify for certain federal benefits:
- Medicare – not based on financial need, this federal program helps cover medical expenses
- Medicaid – a federal program managed at the state level and based on financial need that helps cover medical expenses
- Medicaid Waiver Programs – programs that assist with medical costs or provide income for individuals who don’t qualify for Medicaid
- Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income– a federal program that provides income to eligible individuals that may qualify and may provide added benefits such as food stamps or payment for Medicare premiums
During a workshop, we will discuss qualification guidelines, application process tips and examine current applications that are either pending, approved or have been denied. Some examples that are presented are as follows:
- Understanding SSA benefits and other public benefits. What is SSI/Medicaid & SSDI/Medicare?
- How do you apply for SSI and/or SSDI and what documents should be submitted to Social Security?
- What are the resource limits and the definition of disability per SSA?
- Pre-employment consulting, education, information and a Benefits Summary & Analysis – basically learning how your work situation affects your SSA benefits.
- How do you keep Medicaid when you lose SSI and/or Medicare with SSDI? What is a Medicaid Buy-In Program?
- What is a special needs trust and how does that relate to government benefit counseling?
Let us know know if we can help in any way! Please reach out to me via the contact form below to request a workshop or consultation